Walking - Street Smart
Are you street smart?
Pedestrian injuries and fatalities can be prevented if everyone does their part to improve their safety. Check below to see if you are a smart walker!
- Use sidewalks and crosswalks where provided.
- Stay off freeways and restricted zones.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing.
- Wait for the WALK signal and check to make sure all traffic has come to a stop before crossing.
- Avoid distractions and using electronic devices while walking.
- Look before stepping past stopped vehicles that may be blocking my view of moving traffic.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing to be seen day or night.
- Walk on the sidewalk.
- If there is no sidewalk, I walk on the side of the road facing traffic.
- Stand on the side of the road and at least 10 feet away from the stop while waiting for the bus.
- Remain alert to the use of alcohol and drugs because they may impair my ability to walk safely.
- Make eye contact with the driver to make sure they see me before I begin to cross.
For more in-depth assistance, contact your local MAP office directly or call the statewide toll-free number (1-844-627-5465).